Veggie burgers have become commonplace on menus across the country. I don't view them as a meat replacement but as an option for us non-meat eaters. If you'd like to make one at home, this one doesn't take long to assemble if you used canned beans. The cole slaw is light with a bit of acidity to cut through the smokiness of the burger.
Vegan BBQ Bean Slider with Cole Slaw
3 c cooked kidney beans (or 2 15 oz cans)
1 1/2 c grated zucchini
1/2 c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 t soy sauce or tamari
2 t liquid smoke
1 t no salt seasoning blend
(or a mix of cumin, chili powder, cayenne, chipotle, oregano, and paprika)
1/3 c bread crumbs
2 T ground flax meal
buns of your choice
1. Heat the over to 425 degrees. LIghtly grease a baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, mash beans with a potato masher until a paste forms. A few chunks are okay. Add zucchini, onion, garlic, oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and seasoning. Mix well.
3. Stir in bread crumbs and flax meal until event distributed. Add more oil or bread crumbs as needed. Form into 8 patties on baking sheet.
4. Spray tops and bake 45 minutes, turning after 20 minutes.
1/2 lb cabbage, sliced thinly (4 cups)
1 carrot, shredded
3 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 t salt
3 T rice vinegar
2 1/2 t olive oil
1/2 t sesame oil
1/4 t celery seed
5. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Cool in the refrigerator until burgers are done.
6. Coat patties and buns with BBQ sauce, Layer cole slaw on top of burger. Serves 8 regular people or 4 very hungry people.
adapted from The Thug Kitchen