Do you ever set out to make a recipe only to get it half mixed together and realize you don't have one of the ingredients? Here's my vegan version of buttermilk biscuits which accompanied the vegetable pot pie but are also great as a side or with a little homemade strawberry jam.
2 c flour
1 t sea salt
3 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
5 T vegan butter, diced
3/4 c plain coconut yogurt
2 T plain coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, and butter. With a fork or your fingers, cut butter into the dry ingredients until no large bits are visible.
3. Add coconut yogurt and milk and stir just until combined. Pour out onto a floured surface.
4. Pat dough into a rectangle, then fold in half, and repeat 3 or 4 times. (This creates those beautiful layers.). Cut with a 2 5/8" biscuit cutter, or even a glass. Press scraps together and continue cutting.
5. If you'd like, brush the tops with melted butter before placing in oven. Bake 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown.
adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman