Back when I was a meat eater, one of my favorite sandwiches was a Reuben. I loved the tangy sauerkraut, the savory dressing with horseradish, and the crispy bread. With a little research and some edits, I have learned to make a vegan version that makes me just as happy.
Vegan Beet Reuben
Vegan Russian Dressing:
1/2 c vegan mayo
2 T jarred horseradish
2 T chili sauce
2 t hot sauce
1 T minced onion
1/2 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/2 c sauerkraut, drained
1/2 c sliced beets
vegan Swiss cheese
1. Combine ingredients for dressing and set aside. Preheat griddle or cast iron pan to medium high heat.
2. Lay bread slices and butter tops, Layer buttered sides together. (This will make sense in the next steps.)
3. Spread on dressing, cheese, warmed beets, and drained sauerkraut.
4. When the pan is hot, lay the top slice of bread with sandwich ingredients in pan, buttered side down. Top with the second slice of buttered bread, butter side up.
5. Grill for 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and grill for 2 minutes more.
6. Remove from heat and let sit one minute before slicing.