I've tasted other squash soup recipes and have mostly enjoyed them all. However, when given the chance, I try to simplify recipes and shorten the time. What started as a quick dinner became a new recipe as the added heat from cayenne and curry kept me coming back for more. Adjust the spices to create the heat level you like. Add the kale if you need to include more greens into your diet. It'll make your girlfriend happy.
Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove
8-10 baby carrots
2 c. vegetable broth
2 c. roasted butternut squash cubes
(about 1/2 a squash)
1/8 t. cumin
1/4 t. curry powder
pinch of cayenne powder
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 c. non-dairy milk
4 kale leaves
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Peel and dice onion then add to hot oil. Peel and mince garlic then add to onions. Sauté until onions are translucent.
2. Chop carrots and add to pan. Cook about 5 minutes to soften carrots. Add spices, broth, and squash. Bring to a boil.
3. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. When the squash is soft, blend with an immersion blender or a regular blender.
4. Adjust seasoning to taste, add milk if using, and serve.
5. If adding kale, rinse, chop, and add after blending and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until kale is tender.