One of my closest friends is vegan and she has both inspired and encouraged me to make the transition. Making changes to recipes can be simple or a bit more thoughtful. Here is a new soup for me with an ingredient I haven't used much until now.
Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup
1 T. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 small carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
15 oz. can cannellini beans
1/2 bunch organic kale, stripped and chopped
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic and potatoes and cook until garlic is soft, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add stock and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are almost cooked through.
4. Stir in beans with liquid and kale. Cook over medium about 10 minutes or until heated through.
5. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Based on a recipe from The Curvy Carrot