Just like many others, I'm trying to find ways to reduce or eliminate my consumption of animal products. I love nachos but hate how I feel when I'm done. Here I've combined black beans, veggies, and some spices to create a nachos topping that is full of vitamins and fiber. Who wouldn't feel good about that?
1/2 small onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 bell pepper, diced
1/2 small tomato, diced
15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/8 t. dried chipotle pepper
1/8 t. dried cayenne pepper
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
raw minced onion
pico de gallo
1. Preheat the broiler of your oven. Spread tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 T. oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Sweat onions and garlic.
3. Add bell pepper and tomato. Continue cooking until the bell peppers and tomato are soft.
4. Stir in black beans and spices until heated through. Spoon over tortilla chips. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
5. Place under the broiler for 1 minute, or less. Watch carefully! Add your own toppings and serve.