If you have followed this blog much, you know how much I love soup. One soup has always been beyond my reach, no matter the recipe I've tried. Here's my attempt at one of the classics. The flavor, the body, and the smell are so much more than the canned soup I ate so often as a kid.
1 T. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 T. tomato paste
2 c. chicken stock
32 oz. canned tomatoes
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 small package cheese tortellini
1/4 c. half & half
1. Heat olive oil in a large (3 qt.) saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sweat until translucent.
2. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
3. Use an immersion blender to smooth out chunks and pieces of onions and garlic.
4. Add a small package of cheese tortellini and cook 7 minutes.
5. Just before serving, stir in half & half.