Fall is fully upon us; brightly colored leaves, crisp morning air, and apples & pumpkins abound. To take advantage of the fall produce, I love to make a good apple crisp (with vanilla ice cream, of course). I learned in childhood that I don't like crisps with oatmeal after eating the ones served at school. Here is my family's favorite version, sans oatmeal.
3-5 lbs. baking style apples (I prefer Macintosh.)
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c. AP flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel, core, and slice apples and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir gently to combine. Pour into 9x13 cake pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and flour. Mix well with a fork or pastry cutter. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
4. Bake 45 - 60 minutes and cool before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
* I like to warm single servings in the microwave before adding a scoop of ice cream.