Follow by Email

Followers

Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Freezing Berries






I grew up with my grandparents living less than a mile away.  My grandfather was a gardener and I took fresh produce for granted.  My father took me huckleberry picking in the woods as a kid.  Food preservation was common every summer as my sister and I watched my mom can green beans, relish, peaches, raspberries, cherries, tomatoes, salmon, and occasionally venison.  Although my mom was quite adept at canning, I never remember much freezing of fruit.

If you've never frozen berries, this method works best with sturdy berries like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.  It allows you to later use just the amount you want and return the rest to the freezer.  The berries work great for smoothies, pancakes, muffins, pie fillings, or thawed and eaten with a spoon.

1. Rinse berries in small batches and dry on a towel (Staining is likely so use caution.).

2.  Clean berries as needed: pick out leaves & stems, remove hulls and cut into bite size pieces.

3.  Spread berries in a single layer on baking sheets and place baking sheets in the freezer.

4.  Freeze at least overnight; I sometimes let them go a day or two due to busyness.

5.  Use a thin spatula to loosen berries and place in freezer container.

6.  Immediately return containers filled with berries to freezer.

7.  Berries may be used frozen or thawed.

Happy freezing!

2 comments:

Ashlee Christopher said...

First stop here and loving it. Thanks for sharing :)
xox
Ash
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

sulynweaver said...

Thank you, Ashlee!