I must confess. I used to buy seasoning packets for pulled pork or chicken. Last night, I used a slow cooker recipe that I've changed up to make my own. I will never buy those packets again. I always serve pulled chicken or pork with coleslaw; use it as a side dish or a topping. Its creamy tang is the perfect complement to these sandwiches. Serves 4.
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 c. ketchup
1 T. mustard
1 T. cider vinegar
2 t. Louisiana-style hot sauce or 1/2 t. Tabasco
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. liquid smoke
6 T. packed brown sugar
1 T. molasses
1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place chicken thighs in slow cooker.
2. In a small bowl, combine ketchup, mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, red pepper, & liquid smoke and mix well. Pour over chicken and turn to coat.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
4. Remove meat to a shallow bowl and shred with two forks.
5. Pour cooking liquid into a small saucepan, add molasses and brown sugar and heat over medium heat to reduce.
6. Pour reduced sauce over shredded chicken and assemble sandwiches.
*This recipe works well with pork or turkey thighs.