Follow by Email

Followers

Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cucumber Kimchi




As I attempt to learn my about my culture, food is an important component.  While I like the traditional cabbage kimchi, the cucumber version is something the rest of my family has come to love. This recipe is a take off from the recipe I received from a friend. It may not be entirely authentic, but as I said, I'm learning.  


Cucumber Kimchi


1 large or 2 medium hothouse cucumbers
1 T. kosher salt
1 small clove garlic
4-6 green onions
1 T. honey
1 T. rice vinegar
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes (or Korean red pepper, if you have it)

1.  Wash cucumbers. Halve lengthwise and slice thin.  Add to a medium bowl.


2.  Sprinkle kosher salt onto cucumbers and set aside for at least 4 hours, or overnight.


3.  Check one cucumber, if they are too salty, you can rinse them. Otherwise, proceed.


4.  Add minced garlic, chopped green onions, honey, rice vinegar, and pepper flakes. Stir well.


5.  Spoon into a glass jar, cap, and let ferment on the counter for 12-24 hours.  Store in refrigerator.


6. Serve with Korean dishes or anything that could benefit from a spicy briny crunchy flavor.


* In a pinch, I'm known to make these and serve them without fermenting first. 

No comments: