This is one of the first soups I ever attempted making. It's come a long way since those early stumbles through recipe variations and proportion testing. While you can certainly leave out the cauliflower and go for a more standard broccoli cheese soup, we appreciate the difference in taste and texture the cauliflower offers.
Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 c. butter, melted or olive oil
1/4 c. AP flour
2 c. chicken stock
2 c. milk
2 small or 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped
1 c. cauliflower florets, chopped
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
fresh ground black pepper
1. Peel and finely mince onion; set aside. Chop broccoli and cauliflower to desired size. (I like mine fine so leaving the pieces larger may require more cooking time.)
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter or heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add minced onion and saute until transparent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in flour and cook until smooth, about 3 minutes. Gradually add chicken stock using a whisk to keep smooth. You do not want any lumps.
3. Add milk and vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add cheese and cook until melted. Stir occasionally so cheese does not stick to bottom of pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.