One of my favorite cold weather meals is soup. There's nothing that satisfies on a snowy winter night like a bowl of hearty soup. This one is a regular in the soup rotation. I like to serve it with a nice salad and some crusty bread.
Beef Barley Soup
2 T. + 1 T. olive oil
3/4 to 1 lb. round steak or stew meat
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, minced
1/3 c. barley, rinsed
1/3 c. red wine
6 c. beef stock
2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
1/2 c. fresh or frozen green beans, optional
1/2 c. frozen corn, optional
1/2 c. frozen peas, optional
1. Cut beef into bite sized pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Heat 2 T. of olive oil over medium high heat in a large stockpot. Brown beef on all sides and remove from pan. It may be necessary to work in batches.
3. Add 1 T. of olive oil and saute onion and carrots until soft. Add wine, beef, stock, and barley. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Add rinsed potatoes (and string beans, if using) and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add corn and peas in the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time.
** If you would like a more hearty soup, dust beef with flour before browning.