At the request of my daughter & because we're having some family over, I'm making chicken pot pie. It's a marriage of several recipes and a few of my own ideas.
Chicken Pot Pie
12 oz. chicken, roasted, poached, or rotisserie
1 T. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped carrot
3-4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. half-and-half, cream , or whole milk
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/2 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 pkg. or recipe of biscuits
1. Cook chicken, if needed, and shred into bite sized pieces. You can chop the chicken but we prefer the texture of shredded.
2. In a large fryer or saute pan, heat olive oil and sweat onions, carrots, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. When the onions are translucent, add butter and flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes to remove raw flour taste.
4. Slowly stir in the broth, a little at a time so that the sauce thickens before adding more.
5. Add poultry seasoning and chicken and simmer for additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
6. Add more broth, if sauce is too thick, and stir in half-and-half, frozen vegetables and season again with salt and pepper.
7. If serving biscuits on the side, bake while simmering vegetables. If topping with biscuits, pour into ovenproof casserole and top with canned or homemade biscuits and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Add other vegetables, as you prefer.